- Principle 1 - Planet Energy's Accountability
- Principle 2 - Identifying the Purposes for Personal Information Collection
- Principle 3 - Obtaining Consent
- Principle 4 - Limiting the Collection of Personal Information
- Principle 5 - Limiting the Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
- Principle 6 - Keeping Personal Information Accurate
- Principle 7 - Safeguarding Personal Information
- Principle 8 - Being Open About Policies and Practices
- Principle 9 - Providing Access to Personal Information
- Principle 10 - Challenging Compliance and Offering Suggestions
THE PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
PRINCIPLE 1 - PLANET ENERGY'S ACCOUNTABILITY
PRINCIPLE 2 - IDENTIFYING THE PURPOSES FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTION
Planet Energy will identify the reasons for which personal information is collected and/or required at or before the time such information is collected by Planet Energy. Planet Energy collects personal information for the following purposes:
- to establish arrangements with customers for the supply of energy, energy related products and services, carbon offsets and carbon offset related products and services;
- to provide energy, energy related products and services, carbon offsets and carbon offset related products and services to our customers;
- to develop, enhance, market or provide existing and new products and services to our customers;
- to manage and develop Planet Energy's business and operations;
- to process billing and collection of the payments and fees for the Planet Energy products and services;
- to perform credit checks, if deemed necessary by Planet Energy; and
- to meet Planet Energy's legal, contractual and regulatory requirements.
Personal information will not be collected for any other purpose without your consent.
PRINCIPLE 3 - OBTAINING CONSENT
Planet Energy will obtain customer consent prior to or when Planet Energy collects, uses or discloses the personal information. Such consent may be expressed or implied and is often provided by accepting the contract terms and conditions associated with products. Planet Energy will make reasonable efforts to ensure that customers understand how the personal information may be used or how it may be disclosed by Planet Energy.
PRINCIPLE 4 - LIMITING THE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The collection of personal information by Planet Energy will be limited to only that information which is necessary for the purposes identified by Planet Energy. Planet Energy will only collect such personal information as needed for the purposes that have been documented by Planet Energy and identified to customers. Planet Energy will not mislead customers about the purposes for which personal information is being collected.
PRINCIPLE 5 - LIMITING USE, DISCLOSURE, AND RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected by Planet Energy unless Planet Energy has the consent of the Customer, or as may be required by law. Planet Energy will keep personal information only as long as it is necessary for Planet Energy to fulfill the purposes for which personal information was collected. Planet Energy may disclose a customer’s personal information to:
- Planet Energy's suppliers, advisors and service and credit providers, if disclosure is related to the provision of energy and/or carbon offset products and/or services;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Planet Energy, is acting as an agent of the Customer;
- a company, including local utilities and Planet Energy's suppliers, who will be involved in supplying the Customer with energy and/or carbon offset products and/or services;
- an agent used by Planet Energy to evaluate the Customer's credit worthiness or to collect the Customer's account;
- a credit reporting agency;
- potential assignees of Customer agreements and purchasers of Planet Energy; and
- a third party or parties, where the Customer has given Planet Energy Consent to such disclosure or if disclosure is required by law.
PRINCIPLE 6 - ACCURACY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Planet Energy will take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information provided to it is accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
PRINCIPLE 7 - SAFEGUARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Planet Energy will implement such security safeguards that are appropriate for the level of sensitivity of the personal information that it collects.
PRINCIPLE 8 - OPENNESS ABOUT PLANET ENERGY'S POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Planet Energy will make available to customers specific information about its policies and procedures relating to the collection, use, retention and disclosure of personal information.
PRINCIPLE 9 - PROVIDING ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon a customer's request, or a request by an authorized representative of customer, and unless prohibited by law, Planet Energy will provide access to that customer's personal information held by Planet Energy.
PRINCIPLE 10 - CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE AND OFFERING SUGGESTIONS
You may contact Planet Energy regarding any privacy concerns at the following:
Toll free at 1-866-360-8569
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: 5255 Yonge Street, Suite 1500, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6P4
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer